Teamwork (makes the dream work)
2 January 2020
Teamwork is a very important skill that employers are often looking for. The following are from real job specifications:
“the successful candidate will be able to work closely across teams to realise the best marketing outcomes.”
“A team player, preferably with marketing experience”
Tesco Customer Assistant
“You’ll be someone with great communication skills who works well in a team, while being ready to roll up your sleeves and do what’s needed to give our customers great service.”
So, what is good teamwork?
- Teamwork means working with a group of people in an effective manner to achieve a goal or outcome.
- Good teamwork means listening to other members of the team, taking everyone’s ideas into consideration, and working for the good of the group rather than individual gain.
- A successful team is one where each persons’ unique skills and strengths are used to the advantage of the whole group.
Five ways to be a good team player
1. Communicate with others – this is the top skill.
- Don’t keep information to yourself.
- Communicate your ideas so everyone can benefit
- Listen to the views of other team members
- Share your ideas
- Share your resources with other members of the team
3. Be reliable
- Do what you say you will do
- Don’t let the team down
- Turn up for meetings, practices, any agreed sessions
4. Be positive
- Focus on what you can do, not what you can’t do
- Don’t be negative; be cheerful and friendly
- If you disagree, share your opinion in a positive way
5. Be supportive
- Help other members of the team if they need it
- Offer to help if you have completed your tasks
- Support the team when talking to other people
Be teamwork ready
When it comes to applying for jobs, think about times when you have shown team skills. Write a list of every time you have worked in a team. Having some examples ready will be useful for interview scenarios or when writing CVs and covering letters. Be prepared for interview questions with some great teamwork answers. Check out the following list and prepare an answer for each.
- Tell me about a time you have worked in a team
- Tell me about a time when you have enjoyed working in a team
- Tell me about a time when you have shown team working skills
- Tell me about a time when you worked with a difficult team member
- Tell me about a time where you have had to lead a team
- Tell me about a time that you were part of a team that failed
Rate this post